This is the fourth online training modules designed to guide you through the Picture My Future process. When you have completed this module you should have a good understanding of the Picture My Future process and how it works in practice.
At the end of this module, you should have an understanding of the following:
- How Picture My Future works in practice
- The key processes that underpin Picture My Future
- How to adapt Picture My Future to the needs of participants
- The options and resources available to deal with challenges encountered during the Picture My Future process
- How to present themes that can assist with individualised planning
The Picture My Future approach consists of the following four steps:
- Preparation: Identifying the people to be involved.
- Meeting 1: The Support Person meets with the person to explain the Picture My Future process.
- Meeting 2: The Support Person explores the pictures with the person.
- Meeting 3: The Support Person checks that the person is happy with their Picture My Future resource.
These four steps provide a rough guide only. It is likely that the Picture My Future process will need to be adapted to a person’s individual circumstances.
The steps outlined in this module may give the impression that Picture My Future is a simple step-by-step process, which will follow the same steps and give the same results every time it is applied. However, this is often not the case. Exploring goals may involve revisiting topics more than once to come to a point where a goal can be identified. This point can only be reached through a greater knowledge of the person, their context and circumstances.
The Picture My Future process takes time. Participants must be given the required time to think, order, and represent their thoughts. This is the key strength of Picture My Future. It assists people to think about their goals in a systematic fashion and enables them to arrive at a planning meeting prepared. They are able to present a document that clearly represents their choices. This will greatly facilitate the planning process.